One of the most common childhood illness experienced all over the world is croup. It is a condition that causes a child’s larynx and trachea to inflame. The larynx is the voice box while the trachea is the windpipe. This is caused by different viruses called human parainfluenza or respiratory syncytial virus or adenovirus.
What are the signs and symptoms?
- heavy cough
- rough noise when breathing
- heavy breathing
- course voice
- runny nose
Symptoms are actually worse at night and can wake a child up from sleep.
Treatment for croup
- breathing moist air helps with the breathing.
- dress in warmer clothing
- drink a lot of water
- avoid places where people smoke
- if symptoms get worse, go and see a doctor
- low dose of ibuprofen will help
The illness can last as long as seven days. It peaks on the 2nd to 3rd day. It is very seldom that a child suffering from croup will have complications.